Residence permit in Spain with Real Estate purchase

By itself, the acquisition of real estate in Spain does not give the right to residence (Residence Permit). For its registration, it is necessary to prove, as the authorities call it, “connection with Spain”. This term means, for example, owning a business or being interested in you as an indispensable specialist. However, ownership of real estate is one of the important factors in solving this issue.

There are several types of residence permits (residence permit):

  • Initial - issued for 1 year (renewal - for 2 years)
  • Ordinary - issued for 3 years if you have lived in Spain for at least 3 years (initial permit + extension)
  • Permanent - issued if you have lived in Spain for at least 5 years (initial + renewal + ordinary permit)

The basis on which a residence can be granted for the 1st time (then simply an extension takes place) can be:

  1. 'settlement' - residence in the country for 3 years
  2. family reunification - upon reunification, a residence permit can be obtained: spouse, children under 18; as well as adult children, parents, brothers and sisters, if they are incapacitated and dependent on you;
  3. availability of real estate and financial resources;
  4. an employment contract if you are offered a job in Spain;
  5. carrying out income-generating activities at your own expense - if you are the owner of the company, that is, you run your own business.

The initial residence is issued for a period of 1 year, after which it can be extended for 2 years if you fulfill all the conditions associated with the 1st residence permit. So, for example, the first residence under an employment contract implies the need to live and work in the country for at least six months.

After living in this way in Spain for 3 years (initial permit + renewal), you can apply for a 'regular' residence permit - for a period of 2 years.

The next stage is a 'permanent' residence - for a period of 5 years.

It should be noted that depending on the basis on which you received the initial residence permit, the types of residence also differ:

  • with the right to reside without the right to work
  • with the right to work for hire (under contract)
  • with the right to work 'for oneself' (own business)

If you change the type of residence, then the report starts in a new way: 1 year, then 2 years, then 2 years, and finally 5 years.

The list of documents required to apply for a residence permit in Spain varies depending on the type of residence you are applying for. For example, if you are submitting an initial application (in person) based on real estate, you will need:

  1. A statement drawn up according to an officially accepted model.
  2. Passport with visa.
  3. A copy of the Escritura and an extract from the Register (Nota Simple).
  4. Police clearance certificate translated into Spanish and certified by the Spanish Consulate, or translated by an official translator with an apostille.
  5. Certificate of availability of funds for living, sufficient for the entire expected period of residence, or a document indicating that the specified funds are regularly received in your bank account.
  6. Health certificate and medical insurance.
  7. Three photographs.
  8. Copies of the above documents must also be submitted.

It should be noted that Spanish immigration legislation is constantly changing. Therefore, before taking any action, you should consult with specialists.